Yet another thing that crops up to make this whole experience seem more real than a holiday, is facebook's insistance on telling us that people are heading back to Lancaster. This brings about a strange feeling that is rather hard to describe, although both me and Bex attempted to do so today!
Obviously, it's pretty hard leaving behind your family. Mum, Dad, Big Sis, I miss you very much. And the grandparents, who I chatted to on skype this week and whom are just as amazing as ever, and who bring out the best in my Yorkshire accent. But as well, all the people I've been living with for the past two years, I miss you too. Because we bonded over leaving home, uni work, strange new surroundings... it's a very different bond to the one you have with your family but in some ways it's no less strong. Where was I heading with this rambling trip to nowhere? Ah yes.
The point is, Lancaster is where we should be, those of us on a year abroad. And it's rather unnatural, seeing everyone else trickle back to OUR uni, OUR houses, OUR city, and knowing we're not going to be there this year. I suppose it's all made worse by the fact that when we do get back, some people won't be there because they'll have graduated, or even gone on their year abroad. It is a strange thing.
Luckily, we know it'll get better once everyone's gone back to Lancaster, started their term, and everything gets back to normal. Then the time will fly by! But like Bex said to me earlier, we're wishing the time away till we get to see people again, when really we should be making the most of this wonderful opportunity we've been offered. I've decided that we'll probably be wishing the time away for most of this year, but that doesn't mean we're not enjoying ourselves, and it doesn't mean we're not making the most of it. It just means that we're completely and utterly overwhelmed by how much people at home love us. Now who in their right minds would want to leave that behind?
No idea if that makes any sense. I suppose it can't really, unless you've been mad enough to set off on this kind of crazy trip!
In other news - I got Iplayer to work, our 4th flatmate has arrived, and my head is now automatically setting itself to Spanish. English is becoming harder to use (so appologies for the terrible grammar in this). Crazy times. Cheddar rationing is going well, Cola Cao tub is already half-empty, and I'm up to my eye balls in work. Ahhhhh year abroad! <3 La dulce vida, no? xxxx
No comments:
Post a Comment