Friday, 2 September 2011

Reasons to (temporarily) go off your year abroad

I kicked off the day by watching Jeremy Kyle, so I could get suitably annoyed with England and would then want to go to Spain! I was seriously considering just staying in my bed this morning and refusing to move, but then thought better of it. 

The journey went far too smoothly, this much is certain! My first time on an aeroplane was fun fun fun, I even giggled at take off! We all got a taxi (which was easier said than done as the taxi driver didn't appear to speak Spanish or English or Basque, rather just made grunting noises) and got kicked out on Suzy's street (which is one street away from mine! WIN!)

So, I found my appartment with Emily and rang the buzzer. No answer. I call the landlord. He tells me he's at least an hour away from Bilbao. Blooming marvellous. So, we headed to the nearest cafe, had a sandwich which made my very delicate stomach literally turn over (and it was cheese and ham, not like it was squid or anything!). The lucky thing is that the cola here is actually coca-cola, the real mccoy!

The landlord called me to ask me where I was, and that he was coming (or something. His English is bad and my Spanish isn't great). So we went to stand outside the appartment again, rang the buzzer again, eventually we got let into the entrance. I met a lot of my neighbours, that's for sure! Everyone walked past us, sat on the steps, saying 'hola' and such like. One really nice lady even asked whether we had keys and who we were waiting for. 

EVENTUALLY, after a thousand years (at least), the landlord shows up. "I hhhhhave a gran problem" he says in his best Spanglish. Ooooh great, think I. He'd lost his keys. So I went with him to one of the other appartments he owns, which had but one girl in (who was completely lovely), and we decided that me and Emily should stay the night there. So we go get Emily and my stuff, go to this appartment, skype the parents, settle down to watch something. And I get a phone call from the landlord, saying that the keys were in my appartment all along but the girl already in it was too scared to answer the door.


So. We go back to my appartment, meet Olga (who is lovely, from Maldova, and speaks literally no Spanish at ALL. Brave brave girl, no wonder she was scared to answer the door!) and settle down (again).


And now I'm pooped. I've lost an hour of my life coming over here! Hmph! Hope I get it back at the end. The other little connundrum is that the pillow on my bed is substantially longer than my pillowcase. Which begs the question, why aren't all pillows as wide as the bed? Makes sense!


Anyway, we're off to the supermarket tomorrow (so out comes the GCSE words. Anything but calemares! (squid to you or I!). What an exciting life we lead!
Buenas noches a todos! xxxxx

3 comments:

  1. Oh Lucy, this is hilarious. You have not lost an hour of your life at all, rather gained another fab experience, that can never be repeated, but will be one to dine out on for many a meal to come. Love to you both xx (PS. please tell Emily that whoever she skyped it wasn't the parents! :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, much love back Mrs H! And I had about 7mins chat to my mum before I had to go and shift round again, it was a nightmare! Then by the time we'd got settled we were so tired we just threw bedding at our beds and went to sleep! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The other little connundrum is that the pillow on my bed is substantially longer than my pillowcase"

    HEY, I have the SAME problem! I think I have to buy a new pillow, that looks like a normal one:))

    ReplyDelete