Sunday, 11 September 2011

Going to all the places you learn in GCSE classes

Apologies, blogueros, for the lack of blog over the past few days. The ridiculous weather is utterly exhausting (and ghhhhaaaaastly - just for Beth). On Friday it was 39 degrees and we had to go on the walking tour of Bilbao. Luckily, I had the forethought to bring a fan from Inglaterra, which makes me look half Spanish - everyone round here has one (which is pretty cool actually. Wonder if I can re-introduce it to England...) Anyway, Casco Viejo (the centre of Bilbao) is very pretty with tall buildings and quaint little streets, a bit like York but everything's taller and there are less tourists (wouldn't be hard).

Yesterday, fuimos a la playa! (We went to the beach, in good old GCSE fashion.) It wasn't very hot, luckily, as it was a heck of a walk from the metro to the actual beach. That is something I've noticed - the metro here gets you places, but not to where you actually WANT to be. Like, it dumps you in housing estates that are half-built, but it doesn't drop you at the beach, or at the university. It's always at least a 10min walk to anywhere sensible. Anyhow, when we got to the beach, it was very nice. Far too many naked bodies (people will do anything for an even tan round here...) but still, it was the beach. I had the distinction of being the whitest person on said beach and consequently getting the odd look. But I think that was just because the sun was bouncing off my white legs and blinding people. Ooops. 


And today, fui a la iglesia (I went to Church). The service was 3 hours long. No joke. And this was in a Baptist church! That'll teach me to try and go to a protestant church in a Catholic country. Lucy Fisher, going against the flow since 1991... But Graham Kendrick's music has made it over here, as has Hillsong. It is a bit strange trying to sing a song you know in English, in Spanish, as some of the translations mean that I personally don't think the words fit.


Anyhow, long-term tea deprivation is setting in slightly. I know because I've had a headache today (thanks to the 3 hours of Spanish I listened to) but I made a pot of tea about an hour ago and instantly felt better. So I brewed up again, but the economic crisis (aka Year Abroad) means that I can only really have one tea bag a day (till Mumsie arrives). By the time the second brew was strong enough to drink it was practically cold, but having a microwave is a marvellous thing. 


The other slight paso falso (faux pas) I made was when fui a la supermarcado (I went to the supermarket) yesterday. I got some milk that had a red top. But over here, the milk colours are backwards, so I'd picked up whole milk instead of fully skimmed (it's UHT so anything other than fully skimmed tastes a bit manky). I tell you, I can't wait for the shops to open again tomorrow so I can get some proper milk! 


I'm going to attempt to go to uni tomorrow. Good grief. Better gurd my loins and all that. It's going to be stressful! Hasta luego, blogueros! x

No comments:

Post a Comment