So, when I published the last post yesterday, it was actually a little bit behind the times because I wrote it last week and saved it and forgot to publish it. So I'm doing another one now because more stuff has happened :)
I emailed my Spanish landlord (in Spanish, I might add), and got a reply in English. The hilarious thing is that I asked whether Emily could stay in the piso with me for the first 3 nights, and the landlord (as yet I'm not sure whether it's a lady or a gentleman, so I can hardly say 'he' or 'she') said that she could stay, for the first two nights she can have the spare room and for the third that 'she would be behaving in bed with you [me]'!!!! Our reputation has reached Spain it seems!
Also on the Spanish front, I did a bit of freelance interpreting (that sounds like I was getting paid. I wish!) when I just popped into York's tourist info (now named 'visitor centre' which basically gives it license to stock nothing useful for local residents). There was a Spanish lady asking for a map at the desk and the bloke was stood there looking gormless while she said 'mapa... map?' and waved her hands to mime driving. I do think that a foreign language should be a requirement if you're going to work in a tourist info, or at the very least, previous knowledge of charades. Anyway, I barrelled on over and told the Gormless One that she wanted a road map. The woman explained to me that she wanted to visit Malton and their hotel was actually in Bradford, so she needed one to cover that area. I relayed this to GO and he said there wouldn't be any free ones, but they'd be in the other room on the right if there were any at all. As it happens, we went through and there wasn't one at all. So the poor Spanish couple had to leave empty handed with nothing more than my sketchy directions to put them in the direction of WH Smiths. I tell you, I wonder what they think of England. More to the point, I wish I'd had the forethought to ask.
I also wonder how the heck they even made it to Yorkshire without having a word of English, as we're not like people on the continent are we? We get more broad with our accent just to annoy people and further hinder understanding if they're foreign (that includes pretty much anyone outside of God's own county, you can be English and still be foreign round here!) I also was dying to turn around to GO and say 'that'll be £50 please'. Interpreting is a good business.
Anyhow, after all that my nerves were a little shaky so I went home and had a brew, which is exactly what I'm doing now. Shocking news too - I made the first cake since Lancaster yesterday. I hadn't made a cake for three weeks. This prompted Raph to ask me if I was ill. For a moment, I wasn't sure how to reply!
Right, I shall quit my ramblings and prey that you, dear readers, haven't gone grey while getting to the end of this blog post. Muchas gracias para todo!
Lucy-Cakes (I wonder if I should start putting the 'cakes' in brackets... :S )
No comments:
Post a Comment