Quick assessment of the situation. I am moving to Bilbao for 21 weeks on Friday. Number of items packed: 0. Number of items thought about: 100,000 (at least). Number of kilos allowed on the plane: 20. Number of unanswered questions about this flaming trip: 500,000 (and counting).
But anyhow, enough about that. Let's pretend it's not happening. Not in the sense of 'I don't want it to happen', more in the sense of 'I'm trying to stay excited so let's not over-analyse and send me into a panic'.
It has to be said, I've not done that much recently. I went to see the grandparents. I feel a little bit like Dr Who (the David Tennant one) when he was about to regenerate and he had a last hurrah to see Martha and various others to fill in the last 10 minutes of the episode and just generally make the point that he (the actor) was going on to pastures new. On the way back from Sheffield I got stuck on a train, which finally arrived into York 45 minutes late, but as I've had more good journeys than bad recently I can't complain. I remember a time when I was younger when sleeping on Doncaster station until there was a train back to York was routine as they were forever being cancelled! I felt sorry for Dave the Train Manager personally. He had to introduce himself several thousand times to keep us updated. There was really no need - we were stuck five minutes the other side of Doncaster with no reception, how much more of an update did we need?
I tell you what's been bugging me recently (other than Starbucks never stirring the syrups into my coffee, so I drink steamed milk until the last inch when I find syrup and coffee). The people that do the train announcements never articulate their vowels, or their consonants come to think of it. Gone are the days when very RP accents echoed around saying 'the train now arriving at platforms 2, 3 and 4 is coming in sideways'. (Sorry, terrible joke. I got it from the old jokes home for a bit of an outing.) I do think that some training should happen in this department, because the words 'this is a platform alteration' followed by incomprehensible, unarticulated nonesense is just no use to me. I wish everyone would move out of the way and let me do it. I could be the Queen with my impression of an RP accent. Next time I'm on the vino tinto (red wine) you'll have to ask me to give a demonstration!
Till next time amigos. Though I'll probably have had a nervous breakdown about the case taking a whole 4.5kg of my precious 20kg without asking *sob*.
No comments:
Post a Comment