Saturday, 20 August 2011

I went to fair old London and all I got was this blog post (yeah RIGHT!)

I apologise right now for the extra-long, bumper-edition of this blog, but I went to London on Monday. á la Megabus because they put you on a train halfway there and it doesn't cost very much at all! I was met at the beautiful St Pancras station by the wonderful Raph. Of course, finding him was a bit of an effort due to the ridiculous size of said station, and me having the geography skills of a blindfolded fly when I'm under pressure. 

Anyhow, a trip to the Tate Britain followed, in which I saw ten tonne of stuff that would have been useful for Fren233. There was a whole exhibition about the Vorticists, which (as far as I can tell) are roughly equivalent to those drunk guys who wandered round Paris. Only these were the English ones. Anyhow, we found my room, which made me miss Lancaster as I was staying in uni accomodation and they had THAT bed, and THOSE curtains. All you people who have been to uni will know the ones I'm on about! Then, classy people that we are, we had a KFC on a park bench in Camberwell :D

Tuesday I took some classes at Pineapple Studios in Covent Garden, where I'm going to live when I marry a millionaire. I nearly died doing Yoga Ballet Fusion (I'm still wondering which bit was ballet... and my muscles are still asking whether it was really a good idea). They had to leave me on the floor for a bit after. In the evening I went to jazz tap, which was awesome sauce! Obviously I came back with severely aching muscles, an addled brain and an outfit from Pineapple. Then me and Raph saw a cracking band at some pub in Brixton. The saxophonist put me to shame *sob*. And the crazy Spanish people there started dancing, gave up speaking English completely, and forced the band to retreat for fear of spilling their music all over. Culture shock hit (haha).


Wednesday I met Miss Beth on Oxford Street. Shopping ensued, needless to say! At the point where I declared I needed a drink or I might fall down, we were given a flier by a bloke, which gave us a free tea or coffee with every order. So, in true Yorkshire fashion, we went to this cafe, ordered the cheapest thing on the menu, then enjoyed our croissant and coffee. When I'd said bye to Beth, I went for a quick mocha in a Starbucks off Bond Street, and I sat down and who should be sat opposite me than Colin Jackson!!! You know, the famous Welsh runner that came second on Strictly Come Dancing a while back? But I left the poor bloke alone, it must be rubbish being a celebrity sometimes. Later, I ended up wandering stupidly far up Regent Street in search of a Pizza Hut - the craving was soooo bad!


Thursday, me and Raph and Ken hit the sights! We did the V&A and the Science museum, and it rained a lot. Then had some utterly gorgeous food at Raph's (and his mum was kind enough to not put chilli in. Someone told her I was coming!), and then had the rather unpleasant task of saying bye to some of the most amazing people I've ever met :'( 


Friday I just plodded round, slowly making my way back to St Pancras, then got on the train and bus home. 


Soooo, that was my trip to London! I've picked up some marvellous phrases (such as 'swear down' and 'ra' and 'innit'), and apparently I push through a crowd like a Londoner. It has to be said though, that although London has many many people, York suffers from worse overcrowding due to the general lack of space on the streets. In short, a very good trip and I've written a list of things to do next time I'm there!


And today has been spent with the lovely Emily and her family, who took York by storm. 


Well, that's all folks! I tried to keep it as short as possible but you know, exciting times. Catch you all soon! xxx

 

2 comments:

  1. Never realised that "swear down" was a paricularly London phrase, maybe that is the Essex in me coming out there...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We said it in York in the 90s lol... it's just slipped out of use!

    ReplyDelete