Sunday, 26 June 2011

A leaving party by any other name is a lot sweeter than a leaving party!

Man, it's been a BUSY day! First to Church, then to town, then to the pool, then to make lasagne, then to Emily's house, then to campus to Grad Beer Festival. Woa... slow down Lucy-Lou! You don't even like beer!

At Emily's house was a lovely array of scones, cakey (my fave!) and biccies, and also Jon, Gabby, Emily, Raph, Hannah, Laura, and Rach. I have to admit that last night I had a bit of a pre-year-abroad panic (which I've not actually had since first year!). I was trying to talk Raph out of even throwing this little gathering, as I'd practically convinced myself I was going away never to return and I couldn't cope with the emotional upheaval! This is what happens when you're by yourself, in your room, and you've spent the day doing nothing useful with your energy so you expend it by over-thinking and crying and other such un-productive things! Anything but packing it seems!

Anyhoo, it was lovely, just like a normal evening in, which has to be the very best way to do these leaving parties that are anything but leaving parties. A rose by any other name still smells as sweet... and a leaving party by any other name is much more flipping pleasant than a leaving party! Please bear this in mind for when Beth has to go to Deutschland next year. 

After our little leaving bash, we went to campus to see the wonderful Soulrigg perform. This is how I ended up at a beer festival, even though I very much dislike beer! Luckily I drank just enough vino blanco to reprise my role as shameless aeroplane-arm girl during the EPIC song 'fly away', the apologising girl in 'broken' who is very very sorry she left someone broken, barely able to breathe, etc, and also pointy up and down girl in 'don't let me fall', along with Rach, Beth and Emily of course. The official Soulrigg cheerleaders out in force. To use London lingo, it was SICK!!! No other word for it. I've listened to Soulrigg 3 times now in the past week and they've all knocked the socks off the audience every single time. Can't someone offer them a recording contract like now??? Because I need recordings of them to take with me to foreign lands!

Anyway, the moral of this bloggio is that leaving is hard and getting harder by the day. But keeping in mind that it's not forever - it's not even for a year, and I'll be back before any of us realise it - is the key to keeping sane and not panicked. Thinking of it as chunks of time is helping me at the mo. So September till whenever I get a visit from someone (probs Oct/Nov), then till Christmas, then the short hop from Christmas to the end of the semester, then the weeks at home... see - I've done Spain in twenty seconds right there! Take heart fellow DELC students (and all you other people going on a year abroad), it is NOT forever. But by the end of it we'll be wishing it was. 


Well, just got to get cracking with Miss Beth's birthday cake tomorrow :D Hehehehe, she has NO idea what it's going to be - mwahahahaha! Oh the power that cakey yields! Sorry about the long long post, but I always said I was going to be honest about this whole process, so here it is. Till some other time in the future beautiful readers :) Love Lucy-Cakes xxx



2 comments:

  1. loving the very creative use of words !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, thank you! Well we like to spice things up. I'm learning London-speak :D Sometimes it amazes me how we northerners manage to talk to people from the south when they use horrible words (eg. sick) to mean something nice!

    ReplyDelete