Thursday, 16 February 2012

Je suis à Genève!

Bonjour bloggeurs!

Well I have arrived after a remarkably stress-free journey (which involved 2 buses, a train and a plane). First win of the day was being bang on 20kg according to Difficult Jet's scales (I'm sure they add a few kg just to charge you more).



The journey was pretty unremarkable, but it was fine, can't complain. My amazing landlady met me at the airport and took me to my flat, which not only sings and dances but pretty much turns somersaults as well. I didn't do much before collapsing into bed (which has pillows so fluffy I kept falling off them in the night!) with Millie, my marvelous hot water bottle, and Flat Ted, who is happy to be on the move again.
Just to prove I was on a plane...


This morning I slept in a bit, then drank a fair amount of tea while googling where the tourist info is. I'm technically living in Ornyx, but practically speaking I'm in Ferney-Voltaire, which is on the French side of the border. Anyway, I found the tourist info, asked the nice lady how to get to Geneva etc, then faffed about for a million years getting change for the bus as the machine doesn't take notes. I finally made it to the bit of Geneva I was supposed to be at, then I got slightly lost trying to find the transport office, which was right under my nose, en fait. I got my 'carte de base' (which is a free thing you need in order to buy monthly travel tickets), and got the bus back before my good luck ran out!


On the way back I saw the UN building (I had wondered where it was on the way there and we stopped somewhere called 'Nations', must have had my eyes closed because it's huge). I called at Carrefour on the way home, didn't even need my directions to wander back to my flat and make spag bol. 


All I can say is, I now remember why I love the Francophonie. The people are very pleasant and I've not spoken English all day, even though I know for a fact that the tourist info lady and the bloke who gave me my travel card both spoke English. People say hello when you pass them in the street. They don't look at you funny because you're a foreigner. Things couldn't be more different than when I went to Bilbao, and although I appreciate that having done it once it's a heck of a lot easier to do it a second time, things are different. As long as the uni doesn't annoy me too much over the next weeks, I might never leave!


Thanks for the love blogeurs, now who wants to come visit? I CAN SEE THE MONT BLANC!!!!

1 comment: